Monday, May 3, 2010

Ode to a Song

"Ode to a Song"

O sweet song,
How you soothe my soul.
Such gentle cradling within your arms, rocking
My mind back and forth to sleep.

Calming chords caress
the soft peach fuzz
of my heart:
4th chord, the 5th,
Minor fall, major lift
In the hands of this great mother
Who coos me softly to sleep.
A gentle smile in the delicate piano
And with eyes closed I see
The soft white glow in her pure skin,
The ivory keys,
A comforting melodic voice to lull me into peace.
She rocks me forward, rocks me back
As I'm cradled in her lap

You speak to me in feelings
Consoling me like nothing else can
You smooth away my fears
Encourage my tears to fall
And when I'm done
There is what there always was
The same tender, rhythmic,
faithful rocking
Forward, back, forward, back.

(2005)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I wrote this when I was a student at UCR as a Creative Writing major. I submitted this as one of my finals. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment